BARRERA Vs MORALES - Discuss the fight and the decision HERE !!

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Remus, Jun 22, 2002.

1. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ringside:
    I had Morales slightly ahead but I am happy Barrera got the decision to make up for the first fight! Not logical? Well boxing is corrupt and now scorers don't score the fight in front of them any more but the "big picture" instead including last fights during rematches..as in Holy fights, etc. Ringo<hr></blockquote>I convinced now that Boxing is rigged. I mean Arum was sitting behind the judges as early as the tape delayed Lopez fight. I will say this though this loss by Morales is harder for me than when Tyson lost to Lewis.

2. Abate

Abate Guest

I can't believe I missed this fight! I had to fucking work. Was it a good scrap? Better than the first, same as first, decent or a dud? I keep reading that Morales got jobbed, was he outright robbed or was it really close? Damn, I hope HBO shows a replay.

Kid CT

3. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kid Connecticut:
    I can't believe I missed this fight! I had to fucking work. Was it a good scrap? Better than the first, same as first, decent or a dud? I keep reading that Morales got jobbed, was he outright robbed or was it really close? Damn, I hope HBO shows a replay.

Kid CT
    <hr></blockquote>

They will replay it next week on HBO next week probably?? Usually that's what they do. Was it an outright robbery?? no. Should Morales have gotten the nod?? Yes. It wasn't no where near as good as the first fight but the second half of the fight was pretty good.

4. Valentino

Valentino Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Xplosive:
    I TOLD YOU VAL!!! If it was a close fight, MAB was gonna get the nod. Arum made sure this time the fight was rigged for MAB to avoid strutiny.<hr></blockquote>

If it was a close fight. The problem was that it was NOT that close.

Barrera gave up many of the earlier rounds (I don't know what the fuck he was thinking) and Morales took some of the later rounds too (he did NOT run, he FOUGHT).

The first fight was controversial, but it could have gone either way.

But this fight was NOT that controversial. Morales WON this fight.

Shit! I watched the fight (everybody in that house wanted Barrera to win)...then they said, "Told you...boxing is corrupt". As to say that Morales won, but the Judges got paid by "Don King".

LOL.

Of course, they were "casual fans".

Regardless...I cannot see ANYONE justifying Barrera as a top 3 P4P. I look at him the same way I look at Mayweather Jr. (after his fight with Castillo).

5. Valentino

Valentino Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FITZ:
    I had it 6-5-1, 115-114 for Barrera. If Morales had gotten the decision I wouldn't have said a word, as I have it altogether too close to say either man won the fight definitively.

Those scorecards were out of line. I do believe that Barrera did enough to win, but the scorecards do not accurately reflect the fight IMO.

It's a similar situation to Mayweather/Castillo.....I believed Castillo won....I had him winning by one or two points.....but I had it close enough, and I believed the fight was close enough that I would not complain if EITHER man was given the nod. Floyd got the nod, and while I complained at first, after rewatching the fight, I had no problem with the decision......but the scorecards were way out of line.
    <hr></blockquote>

No way Barrera won that fight.

He ALLOWED Morales to OUTBOX him and to BACK him up.

I don't know what fight you were watching.

I could have lived with a mercy draw (for first fight sake). But damn, the victory to barrera?

Shit...he was doing NOTHING. He (Marco)started to pick up at the end, and Morales was able to take the 10th round. And was close in the 11th.

P.S. Mayweather DID not win that fight either. However, I saw Morales winning more CLEARLY than Castillo. Because Castillo did nothing in the first two or three rounds. Morales was already dominating earlier. No comparison there.

6. Valentino

Valentino Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CHUCHU:
    Fuckin Arum, all just for a rubber match. Think about it. If Morales wins even a close match, there is no rematch. Barrera had to win. I think Morales is the better boxer, but he cant brawl with Barrera.

I really hope there is a K.O. next time. Fuck that pinche Chilango...

Puro Norteno,

chuchu
    <hr></blockquote>

No. He cannot brawl with Barrera. But Morales is certainly the SUPERIOR boxer. He was incredible...feinting with his right while landing the left.

The straight left and right to the body were beautiful.

Morales is certainly old school. A 1970s type of fighter.

Damn...Las Vegas Judging is killing this sport.

P.S. The consensus was almost 100% that Morales won (Lampley, Stewart, Brown, Foreman, Merchant, Lederman). Therefore, whoever picked Barrera via ROBBERY won a tape. LOL.

7. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

At fights end I had it scored a draw and I would have put good money before the cards were read on a split/majority/draw decision maybe a point in either mans favor. I didn't see either fighter establish any clearcut margin of victory. This was a good close prizefight.

8. Mark G

Mark G Member

I thought that Morales deserved the decision. I was surprised that Barrera didn't press him from the very beginning. If he would have made the fight more of a brawl, it would have been to his advantage. Morales outboxed him only to get shafted in a surprising unanimous decision! It was pretty unanimous among the 30 people that I watched it with that Morales won. The only guy that was happy about the decision was some ranchero that won 40$ in bets.

9. JayDawg

JayDawg Guest

Fuck what ya'll are talking about. I had it a draw or it could have went either way. There was no contravery in my eyes. There was alot of rounds that could have went either way and Barrera deserved it more for what happen in the first fight. HOLLA!

10. Yori Boy

Yori Boy Member

Barrera won the fight. He was clearly better in the end, and the beginning was fought on relatively even terms with Morales having his betst moments in the 4-6 round range. Lederman gave round 11 to Morales!!! Bullshit. Barrera rides punches, landed the better shots all night, (not that it really matters) busted Morales face up. People never want to score boring rounds for a reputed slugger over a boxer. Barrera wins fair and square. At one point I was telling my party about the little things Barrera does, how he slips in the left hand, and right after I said it, Merchant said it saying how Barrera lands his short left hook consistently and it almost goes unnoticed...thankfully it didn't go unnoticed by the judges and for once Barrera didn't get robbed in Las Vegas. Barrera won that fight!

11. esk59

esk59 Member

I just got back from watching the fight.

Morales won the fight. I think he should have got a unanimous decision.

Also he scored a CLEAR knockdown in the fight which Nady(big suprise) called a slip.

In my opinion, Arum was looking for the trilogy.

I hate the corruption that exists in boxing.

12. Mark G

Mark G Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JayDawg:
    Fuck what ya'll are talking about. I had it a draw or it could have went either way. There was no contravery in my eyes. There was alot of rounds that could have went either way and Barrera deserved it more for what happen in the first fight. HOLLA!<hr></blockquote>

I don't think that judges' decisions should be affected by anything that happened in any previous fights. Like someone up there suggested, judges are thinking about "the big picture" instead of fairly judging the fight in front of them. YOu weren't surprised at the fact that Barrera won an easy, unanimous decision? I was.

13. Jon Merrick

Jon Merrick Guest

I Scored the Fight for Morales by 2 Points(Can't Remember the Exact Score).

14. Yori Boy

Yori Boy Member

Man, in boxing nobody ever gives credit to when a known puncher decides to box. If Barrera had a rep as a SweatPea everyone would be saying how great he was. Barrera started in a quasi-Chavez like fashion of not being aggressive in the early rounds, but he still landed good shots. He scored clean to the body on the rare occasion he went there (Morales didn't do much body work either), and perpetually snuck in his good left hook. He made Morales miss a lot. In terms of overall volume, both landed on a relatively even clip, but Barrera landed the harder and cleaner shots and hurt Morales more times. Lot of pretty close rounds, certainly not the least bit unreasonable that a judge would give those close rounds to Barrera.

15. BIGDAWG

BIGDAWG Member

Personally I had Morales winning the fight. Immediately after the fight you could see it in MAB's manerisms that he thought he lost. But like Mayweather, and Tito you get decisions like this. Christmas comes more than once a year for certain individuals.

Just a quick question for you p4p'ers that like to change your ratings. Does this now move MAB down on the list kinda like the way ya'll moved Mayweather down? Or does this move Morales up. I mean judging from Morales' last couple fights and MAB's one could assume that this would have been an easy blowout for MAB. So once again I ask. Does MAB get bumped down like ya'll did Floyd. I'll Holla 5000

16. JayDawg

JayDawg Guest

For the people that called it a knockdown. Ya'll need to rewatch and you will clearly see that Barrera slipped while he was punched. That was a good call by Nady. He was right under it. This fight was not no robbery in my eyes. I had it a draw or it could have went either way. Too many people pay attention to Ledermans card and it makes them think these fights were contraversy. There were so many rounds that could have went either way. I don't even pay attention to him no more he scores alot of fights fucked up now. He use to be good but not no more. I think he's getting to old. HOLLA!

17. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JayDawg:
    For the people that called it a knockdown. Ya'll need to rewatch and you will clearly see that Barrera slipped while he was punched. That was a good call by Nady. He was right under it. This fight was not no robbery in my eyes. I had it a draw or it could have went either way. Too many people pay attention to Ledermans card and it makes them think these fights were contraversy. There were so many rounds that could have went either way. I don't even pay attention to him no more he scores alot of fights fucked up now. He use to be good but not no more. I think he's getting to old. HOLLA!<hr></blockquote>

Yep I agree with you 100%. ROund 11 was given to Morales by Ledderman. That was clearly wrong. Round 1 could have gone either way. After rewatching the fight I have decided I let the HBO commentators influence me. The first time I had it 7-5 for Morales. Upon further review I have it 7-5 for Barrera but the first round IMO is the swing round.

18. Yori Boy

Yori Boy Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by valdosta:

Yep I agree with you 100%. ROund 11 was given to Morales by Ledderman. That was clearly wrong. Round 1 could have gone either way. After rewatching the fight I have decided I let the HBO commentators influence me. The first time I had it 7-5 for Morales. Upon further review I have it 7-5 for Barrera but the first round IMO is the swing round.
    <hr></blockquote>

I believe that the more people watch the fight (i.e. a second time, third time), and with closer scrutiny, the more they'll accept the decision as being fair and proper. I was going to post that, you are already the first example.

19. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

All of this proves one thing...

...Morales would whup Hamed as well.

20. JayDawg

JayDawg Guest

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by valdosta:

<hr></blockquote>

I had to stop paying attention to Lederman. Thats what happens to alot of people. They pay attention to what the commentators be saying and it causes alot of contraversy. The fight could have went either way there were a couple of rounds that could have went either way like the first and second round. So I just split both of them and my final score was a draw. But my beef is to the people that are calling it a robbery. I just didn't see it that way. If you felt Morales won then cool thats your opinion but it was no where near a robbery. Just like the Mayweather and Castillo fight I rewatched that and called it a draw but if anybody was a winner it would have been Castillo but it was some rounds that could have went either way. I payed attention to Lederman and the commentators. But not anymore. HOLLA!