Analyzing today's active fighters and the potential/certain HOF wins on their resumes

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I was thinking about this yesterday when I read about Zaragoza and Arizmendi's inductions into the IBHOF. It's an interesting subject when you really think about it. Everyone will have a different take on who deserves Hall of Fame induction, so for the sake of argument, think like the IBHOF. For example, based on the IBHOF's pattern of inductions, I feel that Jose Luis Ramirez, Hector Camacho Sr., Julian Jackson and Genaro Hernandez may be inducted someday. Now, let's take a look at today's fighters and see how many potential future Hall of Famers they've beaten.

Now keep a few things in mind.

I don't think this in any way serves as a measure as to who is greater. For one, many of these Ws are over future Hall of Famers that were over the hill. De La Hoya's victories over Chavez are a great example of that.

There are also instances where one fighter's resume may boast a bunch of current/future Hall of Famers but he isn't greater than say someone like Bernard Hopkins who only has one future Hall of Fame win on his ledger.

Past greats like Jimmy Wilde and Eder Jofre are two examples of fighters whose resumes lack Hall of Fame Ws, but they were great fighters. Wilde had an amazing record and Jofre is perhaps the greatest bantamweight of all-time. There is much more involved in evaluating a fighter's degree of greatness than just taking a look at his resume and his number of future/current Hall of Fame Ws.

Now let's take a look at some of today's fighters and study their Hall of Fame Ws.

Roy Jones Jr.: Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, Mike McCallum, Virgil Hill

Oscar De La Hoya: Genaro Hernandez, Julio Cesar Chavez (twice), Pernell Whittaker,

Special note: Was robbed against Felix Trinidad and Mosley (rematch)

Bernard Hopkins: Felix Trinidad

Kostya Tyszu: Julio Cesar Chavez

Marco Antonio Barrera: Erik Morales, Naseem Hamed, Johnny Tapia

Erik Morales: Daniel Zaragoza, Marco Antonio Barrera, Paulie Ayala (maybe)

Shane Mosley: Oscar De La Hoya (twice, one disputed)

Lennox Lewis: Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson

Evander Holyfield: Dwight Qawi, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson,

Mike Tyson: Larry Holmes, Michael Spinks,

James Toney: Mike McCallum, Evander Holyfield

[ January 10, 2004, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Rebelde ]

2. Tam-Tam

Tam-Tam Member

I like this topic Reb, and I like all of the guys you put foward...barring one - Leija.

Norris, Too Sharp, Tapia, Nigel Benn, Hamed...whoa, oodles of guys I think should and would get in before he is even considered.

3. Yobbo

Yobbo Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Frank Bruno got into the IBHOF. He could be added to Lewis' and Tysons list.

4. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I think Leija's fights with Nelson and his longevity as a legit contender might get him in someday. I don't think he was a great fighter but remember I'm using IBHOF criteria. LOL

5. Rebel

Rebel Admin

No way. Do you really think so? The British Boxing Hall of Fame (does one exist?) for sure but not the IBHOF. No way! LOL

6. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Yeah, but guys who get in who have credentials similiar to Leija are usually exciting or popular fighters. Leija really isn't either one.

7. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I thought he was pretty exciting in his prime. :( [​IMG]

[ January 09, 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Rebelde ]

8. Tam-Tam

Tam-Tam Member

Best fight Leija had was Ruelas-Leija on the undercard of Chavez-Taylor II. (I think?) I thought Jessie was a deadman after the first or second round when Gabe dropped the bomb.

Poor Gabe :( Another waste of what could have been an all-time great.

9. Valentino

Valentino Member

Another special note on ODLH...he QUIT against Trinidad by running for 4 rounds. He was not robbed...he QUIT.

10. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Just like Trinidad quit boxing after he got his ass handed to him by Hopkins?

Get real Valentino, De La Hoya was on his bicycle for 3 rounds after winning 8 of the first 9 rounds on my scorecard. Camacho post-Rosario ran in almost every round of his fights. I guess he quit against Chavez from round 1 on?

De La Hoya schooled Tito. [​IMG]

11. Lefthooker

Lefthooker Member

I thought the same thing about Leija when I saw this list.IMO, he is not deserving of HOF stature.
    Nor is Norris, Johnson or ( definitely not!!!)Benn.
    It would not surprise me to see Tapia or Hamed nominated one day.

12. Joonie73

Joonie73 Guest

ROFLMAO, since when did Leija become even a borderline great? Or Ayala?

13. Hawktime

Hawktime Guest

Not that he deserves it but Michael Nunn may have done enough to get into the IBHOF so he could be added to Toney's list.

14. Valentino

Valentino Member

Trinidad took his beating like a man. He did NOT hold, did NOT run, and did NOT quit. In fact, he even got up after the knockdown.

He came back and KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT of a French Man too.

To Trinidad?s credit, he never made excuses for his defeat. He didn?t blame it on oysters or sex or Bob Arum or witchcraft or Millie or Voodoo man.

De La Hoya DISGRACED himself, the sport, and his fans.

The Trinidad fight is the one that I would never use as the parameter to put him in the Hall of Fame. In fact, would be the fight to take him out of the Hall of Fame.

15. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

disgraced how? by coming back and winning another title in a heavier weight class?

disgraceful is getting your flag stepped on, then getting knocked into oblivion, and then have bernard hopkins go to puerto rico about 2 months later and get treated like a king by the rican people.

and don't act like you don't know what i'm talking about, BECAUSE YOU KNOW ITS TRUE.

16. Valentino

Valentino Member

It was ODLH?s flag too. I don?t see him challenging Hopkins.

17. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

nah, he's just fucking a rican.

which reminds me...thats just your way of admitting that i'm right...right?

[ January 10, 2004, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: mex fighter ]

18. Erratic

Erratic Member

[​IMG]

19. Erratic

Erratic Member

is that really IBHOF criteria?

20. Crocodillo

Crocodillo Guest

i would get rid of leija as well