Alvarez vs Kovalev

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

The Alvarez vs Kovalev WBO light heavyweight rematch is coming up soon. I'll give the round by round.

2. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

First round was more or less a feeling out round with Kovalev forcing what little action there was. Round to Kovalev.

3. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Kovalev much more aggressive on the second. Didn't land anything big but landed more than enough to take the round. Alvarez looks like he is waiting to land the magic counter that won him the title.I'm not sure that is the best strategy.

4. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Alvarez warmed up a bit in the third and Kovalev adjusted and worked behind the jab sometimes doubling and tripling up on it to take the third. 3-0 Kovalev after three.

5. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Kovalev continues to force the action while Alvarez continues to wait. Another Kovalev round.

6. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Kovalev had his best round mixing in head and body shots but it is still a pedestrian affair with Kovalev doing just enough against Alvarez who isn't doing much of anything.

7. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Alvarez landed a couple of good right hands in the 6th.May have been enough to carry the round although not on my card. 6-0 Kovalev after 6.

8. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

I gave Alvarez the seventh although it was nothing special. We'll see if it's a sign of things to come.

9. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

After winning his first round Alvarez goes back to the waiting game in the eighth and gives back all the momentum he gained in the seventh.

10. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Good round for Kovalev in the ninth with Alvarez eating a steady diet of Kovalev jabs and the occasional right hand. They are reading Alvarez the riot act in his corner. Let's see if that lights a fire under Alvarez. 8-1 Kovalev after 9.

11. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Kovalev all day in the tenth. Alvarez starting to go back to the ropes. Another Kovalev round.

12. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Alvarez may have shaded the 11th but a good Kovalev right towards the end if the round causing Alvarez to give ground. Alvarez round.

13. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Kovalev closed the show in style and landed his hardest punches of the fight. Kovalev followed Buddy McGirts instructions to a tee. I have 118-110 Kovalev.

14. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Two judges had it 116-112 and the other scored it a shutout 120-108. All for Kovalev.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  15. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

I had Kovalev winning 117-111. He clearly fought smarter this time. He feinted a lot and didn’t throw all his power into his punches. In doing that he outpointed Alvarez very easily.

Michael Matos likes this.
  16. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

One last thought regarding this card, Teofimo Lopez fought Diego Magdaleno and it was a total mismatch and the fight should of and could of been stopped anytime after the third round. The fact that the Magdaleno corner and the referee stood idly by for round after round is inexcusable but what really tore the ass out of it was when the referee finally stopped the fight after a brutal knockdown in the seventh the ESPN+ commentary team thought it was funny and broke out in laughter. Show some professionalism but more importantly let Boxing people commentate fights instead of bringing in a personality whose known for being a golf and tennis commentator.

Let Christina Poncher do the commentary, she knows Boxing and is respectful and let Tessitore go back to brosdcasting women's golf and tennis.

17. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

What do you think of lopez' act? Reminds me of classless erik morales standing over bobby boy velardez posing for pictures after knocking him out.

18. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

I thought it was pretty classless.

19. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

I like Christina Poncher. Really seems to love boxing. A genuine passion for the sport and easy on the eyes aswell:nodding:

Michael Matos likes this.
  20. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree check out how dad acts...