$250 USD - Boxing Fanatics Prediction League 2010

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Erik

Erik Member

I wanted to but we only have like 5 signed up. Plus the other 2 fights this weekend are off so wont hurt to wait another week.

2. mikE

mikE Member

I'm in.

3. Erik

Erik Member

So far we have.

Erik
    Rebel
    Odogg
    Dave Murphy
    Mike
    Greg
    LDlamb
    Super HW

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  4. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Erik, I'd like to revise the current scoring system. My proposed system is basically a combination of mine and yours. I'll hit you up via PM tonight with the details.

5. Erik

Erik Member

Ok but if it aint broke don't fix it.

6. Boxingfanatics.com

Boxingfanatics.com Administrator Staff Member

To be honest, I have never liked the current system. I think it's a bit too much, very wide open to scoring errors.

7. Erik

Erik Member

But if we just pick the winner each week, you will have alog jam. No challenge. Everyone will be conservative and pick the same as everyone else. Everyone will be 19-2 after a month.

Its your site and your prize. So its your call, I would like to keep it as close to the same as possible. We have ran it for 7 seasons like this in other league.
    If you change it to much I dont want to run it. I will still play and help recruit but you can do the schedule and the scores.

We should focus on recruiting more players and the guys that sucked should try to be more accurate and make sure they get their picks in every week.

8. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I just hate the idea of participants losing points for not guessing the exact round.

I also hate the idea of participants losing points for predicting a MD dec rather than a SD dec. This is boxing, a sport which is often marred by corrupt judges. Why should a participant be penalized for this?

IMO, a participant who predicts the exact outcome should get additional points. However, someone who doesn't predict the exact outcome should simply earn no additional points. This way the participant(s) consistently predicting the exact outcome will surge ahead anyways.

9. Erik

Erik Member

You dont really lose points. More like the further off you are the less you get. I think a guy that picks a early Ko should get more then a guy picking a KO round 10 or decision.

If you pick a UD its 12 points but picking a MD or SD spot on gets 22 pts. IF you pick a MD and its SD or vice versa you get more then the UD 15 pts.

Like I said I like it this way, but if you want to come up with your own go for it. But I don't want to keep score etc then.

10. Boxingfanatics.com

This is what I have an issue with. Boxing is filled with too many corrupt judges. So let's say it was a clear UD in everyone's eyes, but the judges deem it a SD. How is that fair? We're suppose to predict the exact outcome the corrupt judges will render? :headscratch:

11. Boxingfanatics.com

Erik, are you going to hop on XBox tonight? If so, let's get this ironed out so we can get the ball rolling. :thumb:

12. personally I enjoyed the old prediction league at cbs sportsline

I'm just not keen on predicting the rd or decision type or other 'technical' wins

just a KO or by Decision...KISS, ah ha!

13. gregg

gregg Member

just keep it like it is. more of a challenge. Don't want it to easy.

14. Erik

Erik Member

Sorry went to fights and weigh in so been away from computer alot last 2 days. I was on Xbox yesterday(Saturday). I may be on tonight after playoffs. You can PM me or IM me to chat.
    No big deal, if you want to take over go for it.

15. Erik

Erik Member

I'm with you, but what ever Rebel and majority want to do is fine.

16. mikE

mikE Member

Keep it as it is. mY only problem with the scoring is that I don't consider an MD and a SD to be different from each other. I mean really, you are expecting people to predict that one judge will have it even while the other two will have it for one fighter vs one judge will score it for one fighter while the other two judges will score it for the other??

Otherwise, I think the scoring system is excellent. Having exact rds for ko's makes sense and is a predictable outcome. Hell, they do odds for ko's in each round for a reason.

17. Erik

Erik Member

Good points. I don't have a problem making SD & MD the same.

18. Erik

Erik Member

Do you guys like the cash prize like before $50 or $100 or would you prefer a few items of memorabilia? Was thinking of having first and second recieve like an autograph glove, or autographed 8 x 10 and second maybe getting something similar or posters , DVds etc? Could do first , second and third depending on what prizes we can come up with and how many participants.

19. Rebel

Rebel Admin

That sounds reasonable. Just let me know when you plan to start so I can send out the mass email one week before the first set. Thanks.