2022 HOF Class

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by mex fighter, Oct 20, 2017.

1. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

You can only pick 3 every year. That year, the nominees are:

Floyd
    jm marquez
    vlad klitchko
    Miguel cotto
    andre ward

who you got?

2. dazbag

dazbag Manos Daz Piedra

Mayweather, Klitschko & daylight.

3. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

I don't get it. you don't think the others are worthy?

shit....if carlos palomino and cuevas got in......

4. dazbag

dazbag Manos Daz Piedra

Which is my point exactly Sally. No matter which “hall” we speak of (boxing, basketball, or the absolute worst - the appalling R&RHOF) they have all been cheapened by what amounts to a quota system. Sick to death of consistency in mediocrity or even worse - political correctness- being rewarded.

5. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

In the original Boxing Hall Of Fame that was in existence from 1954-1986 had three years during that time that no one got elected because no one got enough votes. That's the way it's supposed to work.

6. dazbag

dazbag Manos Daz Piedra

Exactly :cheers:

7. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Isn't the Hof a popularity contest? I mean when Rocky Balboa makes it in you know something is not right. I agree with dazzle the hof is like whatever to me.

8. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

I agree. The original Boxing Hall of Fame before it was bought out by the current owners was the most elite out of any Hall of Fame. Voters could only vote for one fighter, not pick any three or whatever, and if one fighter got the majority of the votes he was the only one who got in and if no fighter got a majority then the top two got in providing they got 70% of the votes between them or the top three providing they got more than 90% of the vote between them. If the top two didn't get 70% or the top three more than 90% then nobody got in that year. In 32 years of existence only 53 fighters were inducted.

9. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Why the reference to 2012? Typo?

10. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

yes, typo. I meant 2022. five years after they retire.

11. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Floyd,Klitschko and Marquez. Those 3 should be elected in any era.

12. TyrantT316

TyrantT316 Member

Cotto is second ballot to me. One of the better fighters of his generation, but never the best. I think first ballot is reserved fighters who were clearly the best of their class(s).

Ward, despite some issues with popularity, I would consider borderline first-ballot simply because he proved himself in the ring despite how you feel his victories were (boring, Kovalev I decisions or II stoppage). I think it's clear that he belongs, however a decisive victory over Stevenson would have been the final nail in anyone's argument against him in my view. He just ended on a sudden note when many still wanted to see him against some other guys. He belongs, but his sudden departure doesn't turn his detractors into believers.

The Kitschko's are always a wild card to me. I think they should be recognized for their dominance, but not sure how I feel about sure-fire first ballot. Maybe if Wlad had fought and beaten Lewis. It's tough because I want to say Wlad would be sure-fire had he beaten Fury and Joshua. However they didn't exactly become household names until they beat him. Joshua was picking up steam, but both could have easily just been another undefeated second-class fighter on Wlad's record (ie. Jennings. Wach, Chagaev. If I had to vouch for Wlad, it would be him beating up and stopping an overmatched, but still improved version of Chris Byrd, beating a range of undefeated HW's that were available, beating Haye who was supposed to be his verbal and in-ring rival, avenging his Brewster loss, setting the record straight vs Peter, and as decent showing vs a young and strong Joshua. It would have been clearer had he beaten Joshua after losing to Fury and if he'd fought and beaten Lewis. I think if Wlad beat Fury, Fury would have been written off as another pretender.

On the Klitschko brothers, I would favor Wlad as more of a first-ballot than Vitali. Vitali dominated after Lewis, but Lewis and Byrd were two of the best fighters he fought. Sam Peter and Arreola were impressive for him considering the time he fought them (though Peter already showed great vulnerability before they fought).

Floyd and Marquez, no doubt in my mind.

It's so subjective thought.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  13. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I'll go with Floyd, Marquez, and Cotto.

*All three were multi-division champs.
    *All three had success in multiple Original 8 Divisions.
    *All three had longevity.
    *All three at one point in their careers did the unimaginable.